“Going against the flow takes courage. I respect that” – Annie
- The storylines follow Annie and Mikasa
- It gives a deeper understanding into the characters (especially Annie since we really didn’t get to see her all that much before she went into the crystal) and lets us learn more about their own stories. This works to kind of do a bit of ‘filling in the gaps’ about the Marleyan Warriors, Annie’s psyche and even a bit of how the Military Police works in Annie’s volume too
- But apart from learning a lot more about Annie, it also lets us meet some interesting characters and see a bit more of minor characters (like Hitch and Marlowe). It also introduces some things that happen later in AOT’s timeline – such as Reiner’s identity complex. And although we already knew that Reiner developed this as a way to cope, it makes it more believable and easier to understand his actions when we get to see how it was developing and actually see how it affects him more in different situations
- All three volumes have their own interesting storylines
- The music in the OVA is great! There’s female covers from some of the OSTs in the anime!
- It lets us all cry together! We can cry over Marco’s death along with Annie, Reiner and Bertholdt as they take Marco’s gear and watch him get eaten. And also cry over how Mikasa’s volume focuses upon her imagining what her world would have been like without Titans (meaning that her parents would still be alive too)
- We get to see Annie’s hair down! And more of small Mikasa and Kenny (for some reason that I myself cannot tell, I do like Kenny’s character)!
- The novels and manga are already completed, so you won’t have to wait forever in between the OVA releases if you don’t want to!