This isn’t an incredible show, but it’s alright. Though for some unknown reason, this was my 8 year old self’s favourite shows to watch on the weekend (though nothing could beat The Batman). And I’m in a nostalgic mood right now so I may as well ramble about it!
- OH MY GOSH IT’S SATURN GIRL I HATED HER SO MUCH I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHY! IT WAS JUST THIS DEEP EMBEDDED HATRED IN MY SOUL?
- Hmm… the story world building in this series is pretty good. Throughout the 2 seasons you get to learn a lot about the different planets and moons the characters grew up in.
- Oh boy is there angst in this family! It was a real mess.
- Maybe this is just me but I feel like there was a lot of unresolved sexual tension throughout the episode with Esper and Lightning Lad in it… Actually the episode where Lightning Lad hangs out with Dream Girl is also like that too…
And these episodes I just found even more weird to watch because Lightning Lad had been *in love* with Saturn Girl since he was little… I feel like I’m really misinterpreting how the writers wanted to write Lightning Lad’s relationships with these two girls because at this point he just ends up seeming like a horny teenage boy…
- BRANIAC 5 IS THE BEST BOY!
- Superboy doing freestyle in the air is actually the highlight of this show.
- This love triangle is insane. Lightning Lad needed to FINALLY give up on Saturn Girl and leave her and Cosmic Boy alone with their blatantly obvious, mutual, pining feelings for each other.
We know that both boys like the girl (like every other bloody love triangle I SWEAR TO GOD) and have for quite some time now – though it’s so obvious that Saturn Girl likes Cosmic Boy a lot more than Lightning Lad. And 8 year old me couldn’t ever shake the feeling that Saturn Girl clearly knew that Lightning Lad has this massive crush on her since he didn’t real try to hide it AT ALL. And Saturn Girl is a TELEPATH for crying out loud! But instead of, I don’t know, talking about it with him?! You know, letting him down gently, telling him to GET ON WITH HIS LIFE?! She seems to just finds it amusing and use it to her advantage rather than anything else… (Though as I said, I hold a deep hatred for her character and may only be a tad bit biased about her being an arrogant brat and therefore I can justify this interpretation of her actions when it comes to this stupid love triangle.)
But wait! Stop right there! Apparently Saturn Girl DOES actually have feelings for Lightning Lad?! And not Cosmic Boy?! Have I just been projecting my own thoughts onto her character or something?! Because I’m thinking that this is a very forced romantic relationship when it comes to this show. But maybe those moments I always thought that she was just being smug were actually just genuine interest and she’s just really over-confident so it seems like she’s just messing with Lightning Lad?! Or was she just amused because she liked him back?! So why didn’t she just tell him she returned his feelings?! But then she gets along a lot better with Cosmic Boy?! And she would always stand closer to Cosmic Boy than Lightning Lad?! Is this just some strange technique that she’s using?! And as Lightning Lad whines about multiple times to the point where I can complain equally for just as long about how he needs to stop with the whining, Saturn Girl just generally agrees a lot more with Cosmic Boy about basic and more serious things? While these things seem to be something that Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad really struggle to reconcile a lot of the time and end up relying on his *feelings* for her to get him to just go along with what she thinks is right despite what he thinks? Wouldn’t it make more sense to enter a relationship with Cosmic Boy because chances are he’d be a better partner choice for her if she did potentially like him? Wouldn’t that relationship be built more upon mutual trust and respect and actually have a chance at being deep and meaningful?
I’m so confused! Can I just not read social cues? Is that it? Did I just not understand any part of this storyline? Am I that bad at following a plot? Did I just take a lot more logical approach to this love triangle the the actual characters did?
So please somebody, anybody, end my suffering. I’m begging you.
- Wow, I forgot how many cool characters there were! And they made sure that everyone had distinct personalities so that you could find a few characters you related to. So solid work. Especially when our resident idiots Lightning Lad and Cosmic Boy ran against each other for the position of team leader, and Bouncing Boy ended up being elected by the team as leader instead! He’s a pure boy who deserved the recognition.
- These two were a cute couple.
God, why did all the good couples have to be secondary characters??? (Expect for Brainiac 5 and Violet.) And instead I had to suffer through trying to figure out what the hell was going on with Lightning Lad’s and Saturn Girl’s love lives?!
- This series’ storyline is actually pretty complex – though it does go on for a long time so that’s to be expected.
- MY PRECIOUS BOY AND HIS BEAUTIFUL LIFE LESSONS ABOUT EMOTION AND HUMANITY! HE DESERVES SO MUCH HAPPINESS!
- I do think that the series after the time-skip was a lot better than before it. I mean, of course there was the original characters and everything from before the skip and a lot of good content in it, but I think that there was a lot more conflict in the plot after the time-skip. So it was a bit of a switch from ‘semi-wholesome’ to ‘pretty serious’ between the first and second season which I enjoyed.